Sunday, September 13, 2009

Evaluating Websites

It is very easy for any person to get online and find out pretty much anything they desire. However, the credibility of certain sites and the information they contain aren't always trustworthy. That is why it's important as future educators to know what one is looking at when reading a website. Knowing how to differentiate what is correct and what is just false and/or made up is going to be key to good development and learning in the classroom. I couldn't imagine something more embarrasing then getting up in front of my class and teaching a lesson about an artist and having the information all be wrong. Students deserve to be taught what is right and if teacher's can't be accountable for what they are teaching where will that take education? I am sure that within my classroom students will be using the internet for brainstorming ideas and looking at artists works etc. So using the evaluating tools for websites will come in handy becasue like I said earlier teachers are accountable for what is taught to their students. I may also be able to provide my students with a list of credible sites that I put together myself. Making it easier to know that what they are looking at is acceptable.
Making sure a website is reliable is very simple. One just needs to check a few things such as the author, authenticity, source, timeliness etc. Once those things check out, it is usually a good site to use. I would hope that people would make sure what they are reading ins reliable. However, because of how fast information is exchanged and looked up, it's easy to just read the first thing one finds. In the long run though, going with the easier choice isn't going to reap the most benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment